Gaming blog

For your gaming (and sometimes general) info

Monday, January 23, 2012

Are Mojang still indie developers?


With 4,733,940 copies sold, An Xbox 360 port incoming, Android/iOS ports already here, and even Minecraft LEGO incoming, we begin to wonder if Notch is still an indie developer.

The hard part, though, is defining what an indie developer actually is.
“These days it’s become hip to pay for indie games. That’s partly down to people charging for it, like with the Humble Indie Bundle, and partly because of Steam doing awesome stuff,” Notch told PC Gamer last week.

“I don’t think [Mojang] are indie in the sense of how I used to work any more, because we have a payroll to worry about and we need to do stuff to ensure the company lasts,” he continued.

“We have other stuff which influences what we do other than trying to focus on the games. We make sure me and Jacob are only focusing on game development so the founders are still developing. But as a company, I don’t think we are indie in the sense that I used to mean it. But in the other sense of indie – as in we make games we want to play without having any external dependencies – then yeah, we’re indie.”

Share your opinion, you can use Anonymous commenting.

2 comments:

Outcast said...

I don't really think they're indie anymore man and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I mean I'm sure they're much more business orientated now than indie. It's a natural progression of companies, remember Apple were most likely once considered indie by many.

Anonymous said...

"The hard part, though, is defining what an indie developer actually is."
I agree

Post a Comment